Christmas party food for kids

One duty that I am often called upon to perform in the Christmas season is preparing food for various children’s Christmas parties.  I am completely unable to cook anything fancy under pressure, so I have some simple favourites for these types of parties.  And these are reasonably healthy options, which is always welcome.
  • strawberries served with cream and/or chocolate dipping sauce
  • cream cheese and ham sandwiches cut into Christmas shapes (stars, Christmas trees and candy canes) with cookie cutters. 
Or if I have more time I make keftedes (greek meatballs)
This recipe is from Lunchbox Bible, by Margaret Barca
Ingredients
500g beef mince
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 cup finely crumbled fetta cheese (which I often leave out when serving to children, because it has such a strong flavour)
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.  Cover and refrigerate for half an hour.
Shape into small balls and place on a lightly oiled baking tray.  Bake at 200 deg C fro 40 minutes or until golden-brown, turning once.
If I’m bringing them to a party, I serve them with toothpicks to help pick them up.  

I am also liking these fruit arrangements that I found through Woolworths - star tree and watermelon tree – and will probably add them to my easy to prepare party food list.

These healthy party options are completely at odds with my favourite Christmas party foods which are mince pies and rum balls!
What are your favourite Christmas party foods?  Do you like to cook for Christmas parties?

Comments

amandab said…
I don't know why I hadn't thought to put feta in my meatballs, now I might be able to use up the jar in my fridge since Princess has decided she doesn't like to eat it off the plate anymore :)