Ways to be Creative: 25/51 Make a Book Spine Poem

Book spine poems are very popular at the moment.  I first came across the idea on Brain PickingsThis one on the meaning of life is my favourite. 

I found it surprisingly hard to make my own book spine poem.  Perhaps I’m not flexible enough because one book title would give me an idea and then I couldn’t find titles to express the rest of my thoughts about that idea.  Perhaps my book collection is too small, most of my books are digital these days.



Here are my two attempts -

A reflection on life as I know it
IMG_2274
Raising Boys
Star Wars
The Lego Ideas Book
Daring Greatly
The Perfectly Imperfect Home
Speed Cleaning
And the Love is Free
and the books are

Raising Boys, by Steve Biddulph
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Visual Guide, by Jason Fry
The Lego Ideas Book, by Daniel Lipkowitz
Daring Greatly, by Brene Brown
The Perfectly Imperfect Home, by Deborah Needleman (which I confess to buying partly because I thought the title was so perfect for me)
Speed Cleaning, by Shannon Lush and Jennifer Fleming
And the Love is Free, by Jules Clancy of Stonesoup

and a little children’s book poem

IMG_2266
Clip-Clop
To the Top End
Who’s Driving?
Bears on Wheels
And the books are
Clip-Clop, by Nicola Smee
To the Top End, by Roland Harvey
Who’s Driving?, by Leo Timmers
Bears on Wheels, by Stan and Jan Berenstein

I think that this would be a fun activity to try with your children.  To make it easier you could gather books on a similar theme, for example, all your stories about transport.

Have you tried book spine poetry?

I am working through my list of 51 Ways to Be Creative, hoping to try out all the ideas.

Comments

Val said…
This is an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing!